The text here below is the speech ‘Yves Le Prieur: L'homme, le marin, l'inventeur’ held by Léon Moreel at the Académie de Marine in 1965. It tells us a lot about the life, work and adventures of Le Prieur. The original text which is in French can be read further below, this English translation was kindly provided by Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE from France, Mr. Roche has many interests, among them the life and work of Le Prieur.



- "Yves Le Prieur: L'homme, le marin, l'inventeur"

   Léon Moreel

   Académie de Marine, 1965

(Translated by Emmanuel ROCHE.)

Mister President,


The  (French) Académie de Marine was so kind as to, the 25th of October  1963,

elect  me tenure as a replacement of the greatly regretted Captain Le  Prieur.

This  designation  imposes upon me a double duty: to thank for  it  first,  to

deliver next an oration in praise of my predecessor. I would like to be able to

evoke  before  you  the  sailor and inventor,  with  competence,  respect  and

admiration. I could, while trying to do it, most probably need some indulgence

from  those,  among us, who knew him. Why not confess it? I was  in  a  better

position the 31th of October 1958, when I was analyzing before you the work of

Your  Grace Lagier that I was standing in for correspondent. In his  case,  he

was  an historian of Byzantium and the Orient. His tastes suited mines.  I  am

less  well  armed to talk about a scientist and a inventor. The lover  of  the

past and the builder of the future are different.

The  one and the other seem to attach little value to present time.  This  one

turns  away  to  guess  and modify the future, the  other  is  collecting  the

memories  of the past. On the sea that they both travel up and down, the  one,

standing at the prow, ask himself how to accelerate the speed of ships, how to

build  some  more beautiful and more comfortable; the other  contemplates  the

disappearing  wake  of  the  ship, and dreams  to  all  those  adventures  and

beautiful hopes buried under the waves.

Since we are talking about the past, let us see what Commander Le Prieur  owed

him. This slender Breton, with seamed features, with sharp store, with a  vast

forehead,  with a proud profile of conquistador, was born in Lorient the  23th

of March 1885 (died in Nice in 1963), in a family with well anchored  maritime

traditions.  Yves Le Prieur was confessing it with a hint of pride, by  saying

that  he was a "Free Breton Lorient". All his folks had been attracted by  the

asian  mirage.  His great-father, Louis François Le Prieur, died  in  Shanghai

during  a call. His father, Edmond Le Prieur, who died Capitaine  de  Vaisseau

retired, came into the world at Cherbourg the 9th of October 1849. He  entered

Ecole  Navale  in the class of 1866, participated to the conquest  of  Tonkin,

knew  the Black Flags, and commandeered a small gunboat, Le Bosson. He  risked

death to save two of his men fallen at sea.

At  his return in France, Edmond Le Prieur married Mademoiselle Kerhavel,  and

settled  in Lorient. He lost his wife during an epidemic of cholera, in  1892.

His  home  also plunged into mourning by the death, at 14 years, of  an  older

brother  of our colleague, who was preparing the entrance examination  of  the

Ecole  Navale. Following those mournings, Yves Le Prieur had  transferred  his

affections  on his sister Yvonne. She would become the christener  of  various

boats and of the first plane that he would build.

Yves Le Prieur dreamed often of his childhood. When recalling it, he  depicted

himself as "a young boy having a passion for all knowledge, wanting to  retain

everything and to discover everything" and getting drunk on the stories of the

voyages  of  his  father.  He was devouring Jules  Verne,  "this  great  dream

provider  for youthful imaginations". His nimble fingers were already  working

wood  and iron. At ten, in his bedroom, he had built, secretly, a first  boat.

Later,  he  prepared the entrance examination of the Ecole  Navale  where,  in

1902, he was received 5th on a class of 80 candidates. Giving way to a kind of

obsession, he undertook, there, the building of a new small yacht.

Commander Le Prieur, in a moving page, left us guess the confident  atmosphere

of the paternal home. In it, he depicted us his nostalgia when leaving it, and

the  sweetness  of the homecomings of the young midshipman  coming  back  from

China in 1909. Despite the fact that father and son had lots of things to said

to  each  other, he confess us, confidences were "solicited only  by  a  banal

welcome  sentence hiding a lot of tenderness: "Did you have a  good  journey?"

Several days were needed, he added, for "the son to find back his father,  and

the father his son, as if years had not go by".

When  he  came  out  of Ecole Navale, Le  Prieur  has,  indeed,  requested  an

assignment  in the Far East. This one meant for him, Saïgon, China and  Japan.

So, he embarked aboard the Duguay-Trouin, then onboard the Dupetit-Thouars. In

his  book  "Premier de Plongée" ("First to Dive", 1956,  not  translated  into

English), he tell some thrilling recollections about this kind of boarding the

Orient,  that he had dreamed so many times. He became so attached  that,  when

the Dupetit-Thouars went back to France, he obtained to be transferred onboard

the  d'Entrecasteaux  battle  cruiser,  which replaced her  in  the  Far  East


Commander  Tracou  allowed him to embark a "sampan", that he  had  transformed

into  a yacht, by adding a mast carrying a junk sail, and by adding a well  to

fit a centerboard in sheet iron. He christened her Yvonnette.

One  must  read  in "Premier de Plongée" the way he was in  danger,  during  a

Christmas night, onboard his yacht with his faithful sailor Duplan. One  must,

above  all,  remember two adventures which determined, maybe,  his  subsequent


In  1905,  a  small Customs motor launch grounded, nose on  the  beach,  after

striking a reef, at the entrance of the Cam-Ranh. It was his turn of chore, to

manage  the  refloating.  The  ship's diver,  after  diving  two  times,  gave

contradictory reports. Weather was looking ominous. The midshipman decided  to

see  by himself the situation. He put on the diver's suit and dived  to  three


Listen  to  him: "More clumsy than a duck, I let myself slip, I  found  myself

almost  instantly  bathed  in a magnificent blue light at the  bottom  of  the

silent water. My heart, eager of new sensations, sank from pleasure from  this

prodigious sight... The sand, ocher at the outside, was taking, underwater,  a

magnificent  pink shade. The water, transparent, clear during several  meters,

was  growing  dark in the distance until it blended into a  very  blue  night,

unreal.  The  ambient  freshness was spreading on  my  body  an  extraordinary

sensation of well being".

The young officer, who had carefully noticed the shape of the rip of the hull,

went  back  up to the surface. Then explained the dimensions to  give  to  the

sheet of lead that the professional diver nailed on the edges of the rip.

At  the  beginning of 1907, it was the turn of the d'Entrecasteaux  to  ground

during  the  crossing  of  the strait of Haï  Ham.  After  futiles  lightening

attempts, the Chanzy offered her help. But, when the battle cruiser went  back

afloat,  it was discovered that a steel cable of one of the kedge anchors  got

caught  by  the  propeller  and  wound up around  the  blades  and  the  boss.

Meteorological   forecasts  were  bad.  Three  divers,  taking   turns,   gave

contradictory  explanations. Le Prieur then proposed to the commander  of  the

d'Entrecasteaux to dive, to do a precise report. After some hesitations,  this

one  agreed. Quickly, our future colleague pulled on one of the diving  suits.

Had  it  not been the urgency of his work, confessed he afterwards,  he  would

have  gone "explore the vegetable areas of a soft green, the  unknown  seaweed

and  plants,  which  fairily decorated the bottom of the sea".  But  time  was

pressing. His mind wide open, he devoted his attention "to learn by heart,  to

remember  it  faithfully, the journey of the cable in  its  sinuous  winding".

Quickly hoisted up to the surface, he cut off all questions that were asked to

him and reached the gunroom. There, he prepared, with a cork and three  little

pieces  of wood, a schematic model of the propeller. He wound up around  it  a

little  cord  hold by some pins. Representing the steel cable,  it  reproduced

what  he had observed. Commander Tracou, to whom he submitted this  improvised

model, made immediately hauled by windlass the cable, while slowly turning the

propeller.  Loop  after loop, the cable unwound itself and, in less  than  one

hour, the propeller was cleared.

Le  Prieur, during his stay in the Far East, had liked so much the  calm,  the

politeness,  the artistic sense, the attractive culture of the Japanese  that,

at  his  return  in Toulon, he had only one wish: to go  back  to  Japan.  The

(French)  Navy  needing  interpreters  in asian  languages,  he  prepared  the

examination of Japanese language. Accepted, he was attached to the embassy  of

Tokio. He settled down in a delightful small house of the Aoyama district  and

worked on perfecting his japanese, according to an expression that reveal  him

to use: "at the school, the true one, the one of the street".

He   was   receiving  from  his  father  the  "La  Vie  au  Grand   Air"   and

"L'Illustration"  magazines. During this Summer of 1908, he  was  passionately

found  of  their studies on the beginning of Aviation. He read,  at  the  same

time,  a  brochure by the Voisin brothers titled:  "Everybody  Aviator".  This

brochure  contained  the  blueprints  of  a  glider  similar  to  the  one  of

Lilienthal.  Le Prieur was in the country of the bamboo. He had never  seen  a

plane but he built one, magnificent to his eyes, that he christened, one  more

time,  Yvonnette. His 342 Francs of pay did not allow him to equip it with  an

engine. His aircraft weighed 40 kilograms. His trials to use it, in a downhill

while  running,  then following with a 15 HP car are funny. It seems  to  have

forgotten,  in his calculations, his own weight. He only managed to  left  up,

the 9 December 1909, only thanks to a 40 HP sport car lent by Baron Okura. His

success  was  thwarted by the unfair competition of  the  japanese  Lieutenant

Aïbara,  from a so-called Japanese Commission of Military Investigations,  who

tried,  with  the  help of the press, to claim all the credit  of  this  first

flight  by piloting a few moments the glider of Le Prieur...  before  crashing


His  period  in Japan finished, Le Prieur went back to France  by  the  Trans-

Siberian. When he arrived in Paris, he published by Berger-Levrault a study on

Judo, that he practiced commonly.

He  asked for a new assignment. He dreamed, at first, of  seaplanes.  However,

his father did not believe in the future of aviation. With a rigorous sense of

logic, he declared him: "A sailor is made for the sea, and not for gliding  on

a  ridiculous kite". The young sub-lieutenant thought about the  battalion  of

Fusiliers Marins (="Marines") of Lorient. It was then the turn of his  comrade

Bastard to tell him: "You are crazy! Marines don't have a good reputation!" He

then  make  up his mind for a period of one year at the Commission  of  Gâvres

where  were  working  the  engineers of the  artillery  of  the  French  Navy.

Acquainted, thanks to them, with ballistic problems, he went, in 1911, to  the

School  of Gunfire and embarked on the Pothuau, school-cruiser of  instruction

of  fire  at sea. He was surprised by the rustic character of  the  adjustment

instruments  of  fire,  and searched how to improve  those  apparatuses  whose

efficiency  was controlling the outcome of all naval fight. He soon showed  to

the Commission d'études pratiques d'artillerie navale a graphical  conjugator,

built in his cabin of the Pothuau with makeshift means. This one was combining

the graphical recording of distances, given by the rangefinders on board, on a

paper driven by a clockwork, the way of a sheet of a recording barometer.  The

first  fire trials, directed by this apparatus, having been  encouraging,  the

Commission  of the Pothuau decided to build two, which were installed  on  the

Pothuau,  of course, and on the Jauréguiberry. They allowed, during  a  drill,

the  2th of December 1913, to sunk an old battle cruiser, the Hoche,  in  four

salvos and five minutes. Our young 28-years old officer had endowed France  of

an  apparatus that, by the speed and precision of fire, was placing its  fleet

ahead of great navies.

After  the  war  of 1914 had burst, Le Prieur, who was  fire  officer  in  the

Adriatic  Sea  onboard the France, was called back to Toulon, to  install  his

apparatus onboard the Paris, the Bretagne, the Lorraine and the Jean Bart.  He

had,  thus, asserted himself at the top of the tree in maritime inventors.  Do

you  want  to know, nevertheless, with which means our eminent  colleague  had

built his first model of graphical conjugator? With a pastry roasting jack, to

which  he  had added a gramophone centrifugal ball  regulator!  His  ingenious

spirit  was using, in fact, everything that was falling into his  hands  like,

for  example, in a memorable circumstance, the strings of the grand  piano  of

his wife!

In  Indochina,  we saw him use bits of cork. Later, searching how to  solve  a

problem  of directed gunfiring, thanks to the vertical fall of a mortar  shell

on  a close bunker, he demonstrated his idea to some table guests  by  binding

the  cork of a Champagne bottle to a thread of a precise length. He then  made

them  observe  that the aforementioned cork, helped a bit at  the  start,  was

bursting  the paper surrounding a napkin ring representing the bunker,  placed

at  the right distance. Another time, the sugar cube, served with his  coffee,

gave  him  a  solution to free the detonators of floating  bombs  designed  to

destroy bridges on the enemy's rear. It was, therefore, often thank to  humble

objects that he developed his discoveries.

Creators  can  be classified, in effect, after the tendencies of  their  minds

and, let us say, their geniusness, in two groups. The ones, sons of Spirit, do

not  need either to see or touch to know. They derive in their  only  thought,

put into concrete form in their algebraic signs, a reasoning which allows them

to guess what is hidden. They are named Einstein or the Duke de Broglie.  Why,

indeed, would I not seize the opportunity to pay homage to one of our  eminent

colleagues? The others, sons of the tangible universe, transform what they see

and  touch.  Those inventors allow technics to  progress  immediately  towards

precise goals.

During  all of World War One, the Government and the big military chiefs  were

going to call this simple Lieutenant de Vaisseau, to demand urgent  solutions.

Those  requests were stimulated by the feelings of pity or indignation  of  Le

Prieur in front of innocent victims of the gigantic conflict. If he  searched,

from  February  1915  to January 1916, to prevent the Zeppelin  air  raids  on

Paris,  that is because he had gone to Belleville to contemplate the  damages,

and kept fresh the horrible impression that caused him a dead woman, with  her

two little children that she was holding tight against her.

Later,  peace back, the death of General Laperrinne in March 1920, pushed  him

to search an instrument allowing to correct the drift of an airplane.

In any case, during the four years of the great conflict, Le Prieur, requested

by  General  Maunoury, Calliéni, Dubail, Weygand and by  Field  Marshall  Foch

himself,  went  to submit to the Army full sets  of  inventions,  particularly

appreciated.  French Presidents Painlevé and Poincaré displaced themselves  to

attend  the  trials.  He  also met, with a poet  delight,  the  Group  Captain


One of his most famous successes was the use of rockets, fitted to  airplanes,

against  the Zeppelins flying over Paris, then on the front line, against  the

observation "sausages" (balloons). Their successes contributed to the retaking

of  the Douaumont Fort by compelling, this given day, the German to  withdraw,

on a 200 kilometers front line, their gunfire regulating balloons.

Commander  Le  Prieur  was  after that to develop  a  shooting  corrector  for

airplanes, by applying some of the principles that he had benefited the French

Navy;  he also invented a method allowing seaplanes to make an instrument  sea

landing. His researches brought him to fraternize with the "Aces" of the Great

War: Heurteaux, Navarre, Deuillon, de Latour and Guynemer. He was begged  also

to  find  solutions  for  a  floating  bomb,  to  allow  airplanes  to  strike

submarines.  The  day before Armistice, finally, he imagined a  floating  bomb

designed to destroy the bridges on the Rhine, on the enemy's rear.

The development of those various inventions involved often great risks, and it

is  fair  to  underline  that  Commander Le  Prieur  was  keen  to  experiment

personally  the  engines of war that he was imagining. When, for  example,  he

wanted to fit rockets to airplanes to attack German airships, he first got the

reply by the General, director of Artillery of military Aeronautics, that this

kind of projects had been abandoned as soon as 1912 on account of the risks of

fire  that they would run to airplanes. Our colleague demonstrated that  those

fears  were ill-founded, by fitting a wing from a Nieuport airplane on  a  car

and  fitting it with Ruggieri rockets. Throwed at 110 kilometers per  hour  on

the road to Flounders, at the North of Le Bourget, he proved that the start of

rockets did not set fire to the canvas. The following day, he equipped in  the

same  conditions  a  Farman M F 30. Its flight confirmed  that  the  so-called

dangers of fire did not exist.

It was the same on the subject of 37 or 47 shell shootings on bunkers.  During

those  trials, Le Prieur placed himself, despite the risks, a few meters  from

the  turned  over wooden box which figured a blockhaus. Despite  the  achieved

results  and  the courage of their inventor, his  suggestions  were  sometimes

rejected.  It was the case, when he suggested to the (French) Navy  to  adjust

its gunfire exercises, not on an old boat slowly towed, but, thanks to  prisms

set  up  on  two  vessels navigating normally, on  precise  points  moved  and

theoretic.  He  was  answered, one more time, that his project  could  not  be

retained owing to the danger that it would present for the target vessel. Some

time  later,  our  colleague  noticed that the  British  Admiralty  used  this

process, discovered, as often, at the same time in England.

At this time, the Ministry of Inventions asked for Commander Le Prieur to  the

Governor of Paris to confide him the management of a research unit including a

military  and  marine personnel, with a drawing workshop. All of  them  worked

relentlessly.  No  wonder, then, that the end of the war  saw  our  colleague,

despite  his young age, Officer of the Legion of Honor and decorated with  the

Military Cross.

Peace returned, Commander Le Prieur was detached in a factory as officer on an

assignment.  This  did  not give total satisfaction  either  to  the  (French)

Navy... nor to the factory. Private industry reasserted itself, and looked for

technicians of considerable merit. Louis Breguet wanted to win the loyalty  of

our  colleague.  Afterwards, his friend the Lieutenant de Vaisseau  Albert  de

Carsalade, who had created an office of patents, made him named  administrator

of "La Précision Moderne".

In  general,  the  researches of Yves Le Prieur, to the talents  of  whom  our

Academy  had  given a just homage by electing him titular member  the  7th  of

December  1921,  would,  henceforth, lead him  in  two  preferred  directions:

aviation on the one hand, discovery of the underwater world on the other hand.

Aviation  was experiencing conversion problems. It had to convert from war  to

peace  its industry. Security questions worried civilian pilots. Commander  Le

Prieur applied himself to solve those questions. He perfected, in July 1920, a

device  giving the drift by a simple aim. The French airmail  service  adopted

this  way corrector navigraph, improved under the name "Cinémo dérivomètre  Le

Prieur type 130". It was then the turn of a "gyrochronomètre de Pilotage  Sans

Visibilité"  and  one "security soundings" for the landing on  the  sea  while

flying  blind. For those three inventions, the Aéro-Club de France awarded  in

1921  to  Commander Le Prieur the "Prix de la sécurité  en  aéroplane".  Those

apparatus  serviced Costes and Le Brix in 1927 during their  celebrated  round

the world by plane.

Our  colleague also studied, at the request of General Delcambre, director  of

the  Office national météorologique, the rotation of the speed of the wind  at

various altitudes. He invented an apparatus designed to compute it. It was the

"Enregistreur de sondage type Le Prieur 6 NM".

Wanting to ease the training of future airmen, by sparing them lots of  risks,

he  built  a seaplane designed to fly at 50 kilometers per hour a  few  meters

above a stretch of smooth water. This apparatus had no success. As a result of

various  circumstances,  Le Prieur did not succeed, too, when  he  dreamed  of

building an airplane whose engines, located in a kind of engine room, would be

accessible  in  the event of engine failure. He presented his project  to  the

director  of  one  of our greatest airline companies "rich  and  powerful,  he

noted, this one called his son to gather his opinion. And that last one, after

having  asked what would cost a prototype equipped this way, declared that  it

was  more economical to keep the dangerous airplanes in service,  by  doubling

theirs insurance policies".

As  he  had done during the war, Yves Le Prieur did not content  himself  with

imagining  new apparatus. He was trying them at his own risk. It is thus  that

he  crossed  the  Sahara  in 1925, at the time of  the  Citroën  cruise,  with

Pelletier  d'Oisy,  then took part in a memorable seaplane  race  from  Saint-

Raphaël to the Cape of Antibes, then to Ajaccio.

The  mind  always wide awake of the Commander were sometimes  leading  him  to

reach  problems totally different. His notoriety had earned him, we  know  it,

high  quality  friendships  in very varied circles. How  could  have  it  been

different?  He was a host with charming welcome who guided towards  his  home,

with  bounty  and  precision,  thanks  to  small  autographed  maps,  numerous

admirers. He was bound, in particular, with Jacques de Baroncelli who mounted,

in 1928, for Pathé Nathan "La Femme et Le Pantin". A scene was taking place at

a  Spanish  dancer's home. By one open window, one could see the city  in  the

distance.  To  get that view, a painter had drawn a far view of  Seville.  Its

banality and its stillness shocked Le Prieur. He thought that, to create  some

credibility, it would have been needed that appeared, for it and on behalf  of

it, an animated photography. This was raising problems of coordination of  the

speed  of projection, of transparency of a primary plane, of equal  luminosity

on  both  planes.  He  solved them easily in  the  film  "La  Tentation"  that

Baroncelli  launched  later.  In a express  train  compartment,  actor  Lucien

Dalsace  contemplated a landscape, shoot two weeks earlier between  Paris  and

Melun.  Our  colleague deposited his patent for France the  7th  of  September

1928.  He then went to New York, to the Radio Corporation of America to  write

it  down  lawfully. He was ousted, the idea being, he was  told,  without  any

interest. Le Prieur, confused, made the error to not insist. He was  astounded

to  see later an American film, "King Kong", use his invention, fallen,  after

two years, into the public domain.

During  this  period between the two World Wars, everything that  touched  the

exploration of the underwater world passioned the Commander. His interest  for

those problems went back to his first dive in 1905. To develop those apparatus

would  allow to save some drowned remembered him, too, his  father's  example.

Peace  returned,  he had, moreover, regretted that his  discoveries  used  for

National  defense, had costed the life of more than a aviator or  sailor.  His

worry  was  thus allayed by thinking that his  researches  could,  henceforth,

served  to preserve human lifes. He revealed himself, one more time,  in  this

domain  a brilliant inventor. He had been stricken, in 1925, during the  World

Fair, to see at the Grand Palais, a diver burning a flame under water. He  had

noticed  his  diving apparatus, extraordinarily simplified by the means  of  a

rubber  nozzle,  ensuring the arrival of air, and by a  clip  compressing  the

nose.  He thought that it was possible to free, in the future, the diver  from

the  subjection of the arm pump, manipulated at the surface, by supplying  him

thanks  to  a Michelin cylinder holding three liters of compressed  air.  This

commonplace  device served usually to inflate car tires. He went  deeply  into

his  idea  with the help of Fernez and, the 6th of August 1926,  he  presented

himself  at  the piscine des Tourelles in Paris, the famous  Fernez-Le  Prieur

diving  gear.  He felt from it, he wrote, the almost childlish joy  of  a  kid

endowed  with  a magic toy. He improved this apparatus in 1933,  by  replacing

notably  the nozzle by a mask. He dived with it at several times in  front  is

his  villa in Saint-Raphaël to improve it. The improvements of this  apparatus

allowed finally to the firemen of Paris some savings in freezing weather  with

a  warming diving suit. The Commander also prolonged the duration of dives  by

joining to the diving gear a mobile motocompressor.

This autonomous diving gear allowed to popularize underwater fishing,  notably

thanks  to  ingenious shooting apparatus. He was at the origin  of  underwater

researches  of  sunk  cities,  of underwater  photography  then  filming.  Our

colleague even built a surface fishing bicycle that he named "Pédalo Nautilus"

("Nautilus  Pedal-boat")  in  remembrance of Jules  Verne,  and  a  protective

underwater cage. His diving gear had been officially adopted by the  Ministère

de la Marine.

The  reputation  of Yves Le Prieur then put him in  relation  with  differents

circles  than  those which had encouraged him from 1914 to 1918.  Mr.  Pietri,

Minister of the (French) Navy, attended his experiences. He had been presented

to the King of Spain, Alphonso XIII. He was seeing regularly Pelletier d'Oisy,

Vuilemin,  General  laperrinne, Costes and Le Brix, and the  aeronaut  Charles

Dolfuss,  our colleague. He was also involved with the literary  and  artistic

circles of this time: Copeau, Cocteau, Jouvet, Baroncelli; even the Fratellini

were his friends.

If his curiosity always on the alert had brought him to forget the problems of

aviation's  security to take an interest in cinema, he also happened  to  have

again a passion for problems concerning the Défense nationale.

While  thinking to the dangers that a powerful aviation would run in  wartime,

he  foresaw,  in 1933, with his fellow student Louis Laboureur, to hang  up  a

grenade  to a long thread attached to a small balloon. Dropped  by  airplanes,

those  apparatus  would  have made up during one hour  a  "protective  curtain

against  night  bombings".  He submitted his idea to the  Ministère  de  l'Air

which, in October 1938, expropriated the invention. In 1939, however,  nothing

had  been done to use it. It is while reading an illustrated copy of  "Science

et Vie", dated March 1941, that our colleague learned that a terrible  weapon,

brand new, the aerial mine, had made its appearance in the British sky!

The  1939  war was coming. Commander Le Prieur was mobilized as  Capitaine  de

Frégate  to  the  Commission scientifique de la Marine, and  affected  to  the

Centre  d'Etudes de Toulon. There he worked in turn with  Commander  Gerbault,

Admiral  Fénard, who knew him for a long time, and Commander Sala, since  then

Admiral  Sala, our former and eminent President. To fight against  submarines,

he  developed,  with  Commander Sala, a 7-seconds delay fuse  bursting  at  27

metres  of  depth,  and launched safely by airplanes flying  at  3  metres  of

altitude.  The 4 June 1940, Commander Sala received the order,  following  the

results  obtained,  to  make  similar researches for  bigger  bombs.  Our  two

colleagues, also studied, in February 1940, a device allowing the simultaneous

explosion  of  a  great  number of bombs. They  learned,  in  1943,  that  the

explosives used by the Royal Air Force to destroy the Eder dams, in the  Rhur,

were fitted with fuses of this kind.

These  were  not the only researches of our colleague who, at the  request  of

General  Saura, pioneer of saharian aviation, had also devised a  70-kilograms

anti-tank bomb for airplanes.

Invasion  interrupted  those  researches. The 22th of June  1940,  the  Centre

d'Essai  de  Toulon  embarked  for Oran with  its  scientific  material.  They

learned, when arriving there, that the armistice had been signed the  previous

day. The 2 August, Le Prieur came back to Toulon onboard the Lamoricière to be

demobilized.  He took back, in secret, with the Lieutenant de Vaisseau  Petit,

some  researches  on  the  dropping  of torpedoes  at  low  altitude  by  fast

airplanes.  During  the  invasion of the free zone, he  went  back  to  Saint-

Raphaël.  There  he  received,  in 1942,  the  visit  of  Commander  Cousteau,

accompanied  by  his wife and his comrade, Frédéric Dumas. He  kept  them  for

diner.  He counseled to his guest some improvements to a diving gear  that  he

had  invented.  He  showed him his underwater cage but  could  not  load  him,

despite his demand, his camera with watertight bulkhead.

Peace was to made of our colleague, aged 62, an honorary Capitaine de Frégate,

authorized by Admiral Nomy to work exceptionally to the base of Saint-Raphaël.

He  later retired to Nice, "city that his experience of old  ballistician  had

made him chose as the ideal fall point".

He  was,  after  the war, the witness of, according  to  his  expression,  the

prodigious  growth of new aeronautical technics. In this domain, like  in  the

matter  of underwater exploration, he saw his successors go very far into  the

paths that he had discovered.

He  then wrote his memoirs, at the request of the (French) Navy, which  wished

to  have a recollection of his spectacular discoveries. I held into my  hands,

with  emotion,  the  manuscript of "Premier de Plongée",  more  technical  and

developed  than  the work published by Editions France-Empire. I  admired  its

firm and clear writing, and its incomparable precision. I like, moreover, this

little  volume for its simplicity, its life, its poetic breath.  Admiral  Sala

presented him to you, in times past, by saying justly that this veritable "log

book" emanated from one of those "great ancients", the "inconstestable  father

of  engines  such as modern rockets and influence bombs, and  the  pioneer  of

underwater  exploration  and fishing". This one, "gone to the discovery  of  a

strange and fascinating world, had proved that he was not only haunted by  the

daemon of research, but also by the one of adventure, by a liking for risk and

the  love  of beauty". Admiral Sala was concluding that this work was  a  true

lesson of enthusiasm, an inspiration and a stimulant.

The portrayal of our colleague, as I have wished to sketch it, is nearing  its

end.  I planted him in front of you, in good faith, as he appeared to me.  Our

colleague  painters  of the Département de la Marine, know,  however,  that  a

sketch  or a painting vary according to the receptiveness of the  artist,  the

place where he was placed, the hours and lighting.

So,  allow  me to confess that, as much as my too long study, I like  the  few

lines  vibrating  from pious recollection that sent me Madame  Le  Prieur.  It

seems that one sees our colleague come to life under our eyes. They constitute

a  testimony of his daily life: "Before all, says Madame Le Prieur, he  was  a

firm  being,  loving  adventure,  the  unexpected,  fantasies,  curious  about

everything,  indefatigable,  impatient  to realize, spending the  night  on  a

problem  asked the previous evening and solved before morning. He  liked  life

under  all  its  forms and in all its circles. He had  friends  among  actors,

authors, surgeons, Copeau, Cocteau, Jouvet, Foujita. With the Fratellinis,  he

was  learning the musical saw. Everything interested him, were they magic  and

acrobatic  tricks. He liked to dance, to whistle, to paint or draw.  All  this

was giving him, sometimes, a bohemian and fantasian character. Children adored

him.  For  them, he invented games, hoaxes. He fascinated animals,  and  tamed

them  in  short time. He was, above all, very good and very  simple  with  the

people who worked with him".

After those two very different evocations, one from history and the other from

the  heart, you will allow me to conclude by submitting you the subtle  eulogy

that  addressed  him  Cocteau. It is, this time, the  evocation  of  a  friend

according to spirit:

3 October 1956



My  dear  Le  Prieur, your name symbolize this France which  always  give  and

harvest little.

Not a factory of speed, not a pilot, not an underwater hunt that does not  owe


When  I  was  a child, I dreamed of becoming "ingenious". Have  I  become  so?

Maybe.  You,  without  a  shadow of a doubt. And it  is  a  nobler  title,  if

possible, that the one of "engineer".

Because  you continuously discover what the future covers. You excavate, in  a

way,  the future's soil. Princes of your kingdom are Leonardo (da  Vinci)  and

Jules Verne.

Your life of active poet illustrates, under the point of view of Science,  the

beautiful sentence of Picasso: "I find first. After, I search."

To  discover  treasures, that is, alas, how one ruins himself.  But  you  have

mechanized the wheel of Fortune, which runs away. Isn't it magnificent?

I salute you with respect and tenderness.

Jean Cocteau




- "Yves Le Prieur: L'homme, le marin, l'inventeur"

   Léon Moreel

   Académie de Marine, 1965

(Retapé par Emmanuel ROCHE.)

Monsieur le Président,


L'Académie  de Marine a bien voulu, le 25 octobre 1963, m'élire  titulaire  en

remplacement du très regretté Commandant Le Prieur. Cette désignation m'impose

un  double  devoir:  la remercier d'abord, prononcer ensuite  l'éloge  de  mon

prédécesseur. Je voudrais pouvoir évoquer devant vous le marin et l'inventeur,

avec  compétence, respect et admiration. J'aurai, en le tentant,  certainement

besoin  de l'indulgence de ceux qui, parmi nous, l'ont connu. Pourquoi ne  pas

l'avouer?  J'étais mieux placé le 31 octobre 1958, lorsque j'analysais  devant

vous l'oeuvre de Monseigneur Lagier que je remplaçais comme correspondant.  Il

s'agissait d'un historien de Byzance et de l'Orient. Ses goûts correspondaient

aux  miens.  Je  suis moins armé pour parler d'un savant  et  d'un  inventeur.

L'amoureux du passé et le fabricant d'avenir sont différents.

L'un  et  l'autre semblent attacher peu de prix à l'heure  présente.  Celui-ci

s'en  détourne  pour  deviner et modifier  l'avenir,  celui-là  recueille  les

souvenirs  du passé. Sur la mer qu'ils parcourent l'un, debout à  l'avant,  se

demande  comment accélérer la vitesse des vaisseaux, comment en construire  de

plus beaux et de plus confortables; l'autre contemple le sillage du navire qui

s'efface,  et  rêve à tant d'aventures et de beaux espoirs  enfouis  sous  les


Puisque  nous  parlons  du passé, voyons ce que le Commandant  Le  Prieur  lui

devait. Ce breton élancé, aux traits burinés, au regard aigu, au vaste  front,

au  fier  profil de conquistador, était né à Lorient le 23 mars 1885  (mort  à

Nice en 1963), dans une famille aux traditions maritimes bien ancrées. Yves Le

Prieur  l'avouait avec une pointe de fierté, en disant qu'il était  un  "Franc

breton  Lorient". Tous les siens avaient été attirés par le mirage  asiatique.

Son grand-père, Louis François Le Prieur, était mort à Shanghaï au cours d'une

escale.  Son  père,  Edmond Le Prieur, qui mourut  Capitaine  de  Vaisseau  en

retraite, avait vu le jour à Cherbourg le 9 octobre 1849. Entré à Navale  dans

la  promotion de 1866, il avait participé à la conquête du Tonkin,  connu  les

Pavillons noirs, et commandé une petite cannonière Le Bosson. Il avait  risqué

sa vie pour sauver deux de ses hommes tombés à la mer.

A  son  retour  en France, Edmond Le Prieur s'était  marié  avec  mademoiselle

Kerhuvel et fixé à Lorient. Il perdit sa femme lors d'une épidémie de  choléra

en  1892. Son foyer fut également endeuillé par la mort, à 14 ans, d'un  frère

ainé  de notre confrère, qui préparait Navale. A la suite de ces deuils,  Yves

Le  Prieur avait reporté ses affections sur sa soeur Yvonne. Elle  deviendrait

la marraine des divers bateaux et du premier avion qu'il construirait.

Yves  Le  Prieur rêva souvent à son enfance. En l'évoquant, il  s'est  dépeint

comme  "un jeune garçon passionné de tout savoir, de tout retenir et  de  tout

découvrir"  et s'enivrant au récit des voyages de son père. Il dévorait  Jules

Verne "ce grand fournisseur de rêves pour imaginations juvéniles". Ses  doigts

agiles  travaillaient  déjà le bois et le fer. A 10 ans, dans sa  chambre,  il

avait  construit, en secret, un premier bateau. Plus tard, il prépara  l'Ecole

navale où, en 1902, il fut reçu 5° sur une promotion de 80 candidats. Cédant à

une  sorte  d'obsession,  il y entreprit la construction  d'un  nouveau  petit


Le  Commandant  Le  Prieur, dans une page émouvante,  nous  a  laissé  deviner

l'atmosphère  confiante  du foyer paternel. Il y dépeint sa  nostalgie  en  le

quittant,  et  la douceur des retours du jeune midship revenant  de  Chine  en

1909. Alors que le père et le fils avaient pourtant bien des choses à se dire,

nous  avoue-t-il,  les confidences n'étaient "sollicitées que par  une  phrase

banale de bienvenue cachant beaucoup de tendresse: "Tu as fait bon voyage?" Il

fallait  quelques jours, ajoutait-il, pour "que le fils retrouve son père,  et

le père son fils, comme si des années ne s'étaient pas écoulées".

A sa sortie de Navale, Le Prieur avait, en effet, sollicité une affectation en

Extrême-Orient.  Celui-ci représentait pour lui Saïgon, la Chine et le  Japon.

Il  embarqua donc sur le Duguay-Trouin, puis sur le Dupetit-Thouars. Dans  son

livre  "Premier  de Plongée", il a conté de passionnants souvenirs  sur  cette

espèce  d'abordage  avec  l'Orient, dont il avait tant révé.  Il  s'y  attacha

tellement  que, lorsque le Dupetit-Thouars rentra en France, il obtint  d'être

muté  à  bord du croiseur d'Entrecasteaux, qui le remplaçait dans la  Division


Le  Commandant  Tracou  lui  permit d'y embarquer  un  "sampan",  qu'il  avait

transformé en yacht, en le dotant d'un mât portant une voilure en éventail, et

en le perçant d'un puits pour y adapter une dérive mobile en tôle. Il  l'avait

baptisé Yvonnette.

Il faut lire dans "Premier de Plongée", les dangers qu'il courut, pendant  une

nuit  de  Noël,  à bord de son yacht avec son fidèle  marin  Duplan.  Il  faut

surtout  retenir  deux  aventures  qui  déterminèrent  peut-être  sa  vocation


En 1905, une petite chaloupe des Douanes s'échoua, le nez vers la terre, après

avoir touché une roche, à l'entrée du Cam-Ranh. Le tour de corvée fit désigner

Le  Prieur pour diriger le reflouement. Le scaphandrier du bord,  après  avoir

plongé  à  deux  reprises, fit des comptes rendus  contradictoires.  Le  temps

menaçait. Le midship décida de se rendre compte par lui-même de la  situation.

Il endossa l'habit de scaphandrier et plongea à trois mètres.

Ecoutez-le: "Plus malhabile qu'un canard, je me laissai glisser, je me trouvai

presque  aussitôt  baigné  d'une magnifique lumière bleue  au  fond  de  l'eau

silencieuse.  Mon coeur, avide de sensations nouvelles, se serra de plaisir  à

ce  spectacle prodigieux... Le sable, ocre à l'extérieur, prenait  sous  l'eau

une  magnifique  teinte rose. La mer, transparente,  claire  pendant  quelques

mètres,  s'obscursissait au loin jusqu'à se fondre dans une nuit  très  bleue,

irréelle.  La  fraîcheur ambiante répandait sur mon corps  une  extraordinaire

sensation de bien-être".

Le jeune officier, qui avait soigneusement noté la forme de la déchirure de la

coque,  remonta  à la surface. Ce fut pour combiner la taille à  donner  à  la

feuille  de plomb que le scaphandrier professionnel cloua sur les bords de  la


Au  début  de 1907, c'est au tour de l'Entrecasteaux de s'échouer  pendant  la

traversée  du détroit d'Haï Ham. Après de vaines tentatives  d'allègement,  le

Chanzy  lui  apporta  son aide. Mais, quand le croiseur se remit  à  flot,  on

constata qu'un câble d'acier d'une des ancres à jet s'était pris dans l'hélice

et  enroulé  autour  des pales et du  moyeu.  Les  prévisions  météorologiques

étaient mauvaises. Trois scaphandriers se relayant donnèrent des  explications

contradictoires. Le Prieur proposa au Commandant de l'Entrecasteaux de plonger,

pour  faire un rapport précis. Après quelques hésitations,  celui-ci  accepta.

Vite,  notre  futur confrère enfila l'un des scaphandres. Si  ce  n'avait  été

l'urgence  de son travail, avoua-t-il par la suite, il eut été  "explorer  les

zones  végétales  d'un  vert  tendre, les algues  et  plantes  inconnues,  qui

décoraient  féériquement le fond de la mer". Mais le temps pressait.  L'esprit

en  éveil, il consacra son attention "à apprendre par coeur, pour  le  retenir

fidèlement, le trajet du câble dans son enroulement sinueux". Rapidement hissé

en  surface, il coupa court aux questions qui lui étaient posées et  gagna  le

poste  des  aspirants.  Il y confectionna, avec un  bouchon  et  trois  petits

morceaux  de  bois, une maquette schématique de l'hélice.  Il  enroula  autour

d'elle une cordelette fixée par quelques épingles. Figurant le câble  d'acier,

elle  reproduisait  ce  qu'il avait observé. Le Commandant Tracou,  à  qui  il

soumit  cette maquette improvisée, fit aussitôt hâler au treuil sur le  câble,

tout  en faisant tourner lentement l'hélice. Boucle après boucle, le câble  se

déroula et, en moins d'une heure, celle-ci fut dégagée.

Le  Prieur,  au cours de son séjour en Extrême-Orient, avait goûté  à  un  tel

point  le calme, la politesse, le sens artistique, la culture  séduisante  des

Japonais  et des Japonaises, qu'à son retour à Toulon, il n'eut  qu'un  désir:

repartir au Japon. La Marine ayant besoin d'interprètes ès langues orientales,

il présenta l'examen de Japonais. Reçu, il fut attaché à l'ambassade de Tokio.

Il  s'installa  dans une ravissante petite maison du quartier de  l'Aoyama  et

s'employa à parfaire son japonais, selon une expression qui nous le livre:  "à

l'école, la vraie, celle de la rue".

Il recevait de son père "La Vie au Grand Air" et "L'Illustration". En cet  été

de 1908, il se passionnait pour leurs études sur les débuts de l'aviation.  Il

lut, au même moment, une brochure des frères Voisin intitulée: "Tout le  monde

aviateur".  Elle contenait les plans d'un planeur à la manière de  Lilienthal.

Le  Prieur  était au pays du bambou. Il n'avait jamais vu d'avion mais  il  en

construisit  un,  magnifique  à ses yeux, qu'il baptisa,  une  fois  de  plus,

Yvonnette.  Ses  342  Francs de solde ne lui permirent pas de  le  doter  d'un

moteur.  Son  appareil pesait 40 kilos. Ses essais pour l'utiliser,  dans  une

descente  en  courant, puis ensuite avec une auto de 15 CV sont  amusants.  Il

semblait  avoir  oublié,  dans ses calculs, son propre  poids.  Il  ne  devait

réussir  à s'élever, le 9 décembre 1909, que grâce à une auto de course de  40

CV  aimablement  prêtée par le baron Okura. Son succès fut  contrarié  par  la

concurrence  déloyale  du lieutenant japonais Aïbara, membre  d'une  prétendue

commission  d'investigations militaires niponne, qui tenta, avec l'aide de  la

presse,  de  s'attribuer la réussite de ce premier vol  en  pilotant  quelques

instants l'engin de Le Prieur... avant de le briser.

Son  stage au Japon terminé, Le Prieur regagna la France par le Transsibérien.

En  arrivant  à Paris, il publia chez Berger-Levrault une étude sur  le  Judo,

qu'il pratiquait couramment.

Il   demanda  une  nouvelle  affectation.  Il  réva,  d'abord,   d'hydravions.

Cependant, son père ne croyait pas à l'avenir de l'aviation. Avec un rigoureux

sens de la logique, il lui déclara "un marin est fait pour la mer et pas  pour

planer sur un ridicule cerf-volant". Le jeune enseigne pensa au bataillon  des

Fusiliers  Marins  de Lorient. Ce fut au tour de son camarade Bastard  de  lui

dire:  "Tu  es  fou,  les  fusiliers marins  ne  jouissent  pas  d'une  grande

réputation"!  Il se décida donc pour un stage d'une année à la  Commission  de

Gâvres où travaillaient les ingénieurs d'artillerie navale. Familiarisé, grâce

à  eux,  avec  les problèmes de balistique, il entra, en 1911,  à  l'Ecole  de

canonnage  et embarqua sur le Pothuau, croiseur-école d'application de tirs  à

la mer. Il fut frappé par le caractère rustique des instruments de réglage  de

tir,  et  chercha  comment  perfectionner  des  appareils  dont   l'efficacité

commandait  l'issue de tout combat naval. Il présenta bientôt à la  Commission

d'études  pratiques  d'artillerie navale un conjugateur  graphique,  construit

dans  sa  cabine  du Pothuau avec des moyens de  fortune.  Celui-ci  combinait

l'enregistrement graphique des distances, données par les télémètres du  bord,

sur  un  papier  entrainé par un mouvement d'horlogerie  à  la  manière  d'une

feuille de baromètre enregistreur. Les premiers essais de tir, dirigés grâce à

cet  appareil, ayant été encourageants, la Commission du Pothuau  décida  d'en

construire deux, qui furent installés sur le Pothuau, bien entendu, et sur  le

Jauréguiberry.  Ils  permirent,  lors d'un exercice, le 2  décembre  1913,  de

couler  un vieux cuirassé, le Hoche, en quatre salves et cinq  minutes.  Notre

jeune  officier de 28 ans venait de doter la France d'un appareil qui, par  la

rapidité  et  la  précision  du tir, plaçait sa flotte  en  tête  des  grandes


Lorsque  la  guerre  de  1914 eut éclaté, Le Prieur,  qui  se  trouvait  comme

officier  canonnier  en Adriatique à bord de la France, fut rappelé  à  Toulon

pour installer son appareil sur le Paris, la Bretagne, la Lorraine et le  Jean

Bart. Il s'était donc imposé au premier rang des inventeurs maritimes. Voulez-

vous  savoir,  toutefois,  avec  quels moyens  notre  éminent  confrère  avait

fabriqué  sa première maquette de conjugateur graphique? Avec un  tournebroche

de  pâtisserie  auquel il avait joint un régulateur de  phonographe  à  boules

centrifuges! Son esprit ingénieux utilisait, en effet, tout ce qui lui tombait

sous  la main comme, par exemple, dans une circonstance mémorable, les  cordes

du piano à queue de son épouse!

En  Indochine,  nous l'avions vu utiliser des morceaux de  liège.  Plus  tard,

cherchant à résoudre un problème de tir guidé, grâce à la chute verticale d'un

obus  de  mortier  sur  un proche abri bétonné, il démontra  son  idée  à  des

convives  en  liant  le bouchon d'une bouteille de champagne à  un  fil  d'une

longueur  déterminée.  Il fit constater ainsi que le dit  bouchon,  invité  au

départ  d'un coup de pouce, crevait le papier entourant le rond  de  serviette

figurant l'abri bétonné, placé à la distance requise. Une autre fois, le carré

de  sucre,  servi  avec son café, lui fournit une solution  pour  libérer  les

percuteurs  de  bombes  à  flotteur destinées à détruire  des  ponts  sur  les

arrières ennemis. C'était donc souvent grâce à d'humbles objets qu'il  mettait

au point ses découvertes.

Les  créateurs  peuvent se répartir, en effet, d'après les tendances  de  leur

esprit  et,  disons-le,  de leurs génies, en deux groupes. Les  uns,  fils  de

l'Esprit, n'ont besoin ni de voir ni de toucher pour savoir. Ils puisent  dans

leur  seule pensée, concrétisée dans les signes algébriques,  un  raisonnement

qui  leur permet de deviner ce qui est caché. Ils s'appellent Einstein  ou  le

duc  de Broglie. Pourquoi, en effet, ne saisirais-je pas l'occasion de  rendre

hommage  à  l'un  de  nos éminents confrères? Les  autres,  fils  du  tangible

univers, transforment ce qu'ils voient et touchent. Ces inventeurs  permettent

aux techniques de progresser immédiatement vers des buts précis.

Durant  toute la guerre 1914, le Gouvernement et les grands  chefs  militaires

allaient faire appel à ce simple Lieutenant de Vaisseau pour lui réclamer  des

solutions urgentes. Ces sollicitations étaient stimulées par les sentiments de

pitié   ou  d'indignation  de  Le  Prieur  devant  d'innocentes  victimes   du

gigantesque conflit. S'il cherche, de février 1915 à janvier 1916, à  empêcher

les raids de Zeppelins sur Paris, c'est qu'il s'est rendu à Belleville pour en

contempler les dégats, et garde vivace l'affreuse impression que lui causa une

femme tuée, avec ses deux petits enfants qu'elle tenait serrés contre elle.

Plus  tard,  la paix revenue, la mort du Général Lapperrine en mars  1920,  le

poussa à rechercher un instrument permettant de corriger la dérive en avion.

En tout cas, durant les quatres années du grand conflit, Le Prieur,  sollicité

par  les Généraux Maunoury, Galliéni, Dubail, Weygand et par le Maréchal  Foch

lui-même, allait soumettre à l'armée des séries d'inventions  particulièrement

appréciées. Les Présidents Painlevé et Poincaré se déplaceraient pour assister

aux  essais.  Il  rencontrerait  aussi, avec une joie  de  poète,  le  Colonel

d'aviation d'Annunzio.

L'une de ses réussites les plus célèbres fut l'utilisation de fusées,  montées

sur  des  avions,  contre les Zeppelins survolant Paris, puis  sur  le  front,

contre les "saucisses" d'observation. Leurs succès contribuèrent à la  reprise

du Fort de Douaumont en obligeant, ce jour-là, les Allemands à retirer sur  un

front de 200 kilomètres leurs ballons de réglage de tir.

Le  Commandant Le Prieur devait ensuite mettre au point un correcteur  de  tir

pour avions en appliquant certains des principes dont il avait fait bénéficier

la  Marine;  il inventa aussi un procédé permettant aux  hydravions  d'amerrir

sans visibilité. Ses recherches l'amenèrent à fraterniser aves les "as" de  la

grande guerre: Heurteaux, Navarre, Deullion, de Latour et Guynemer. On le pria

également  de trouver des solutions pour des tirs de plein fouet sur  abris...

Il  combina  par  ailleurs une bombe à flotteurs  pour  permettre  aux  avions

d'atteindre les sous-marins. A la veille de l'armistice, enfin, il imagina une

bombe  flottante  destinée à détruire les ponts du Rhin sur  les  arrières  de


La  mise  au  point de ces diverses inventions comportait  souvent  de  graves

risques,  et  il est juste de souligner que le Commandant Le Prieur  tenait  à

expérimenter  lui-même  les engins qu'il imaginait. Lorsque, par  exemple,  il

voulut  monter  des  fusées  sur des  avions  pour  attaquer  les  dirigeables

allemands,  il s'entendit tout d'abord répondre par le Général,  directeur  de

l'artillerie  de  l'aéronautique militaire, que ce genre de projet  avait  été

abandonné  dès 1912 en raison des risques d'incendie qu'il faisait courir  aux

avions.  Notre  confrère  démontra que ces craintes étaient  mal  fondées,  en

montant  une  aile d'avion Nieuport sur une auto et en  l'équipant  de  fusées

Ruggieri. Lancé à 110 kilomètres à l'heure sur la route des Flandres, au  Nord

du  Bourget, il prouva que le départ des fusées n'incendiait pas  l'entoilage.

Le  lendemain, il équipa dans les mêmes conditions un Farman M F 30.  Son  vol

confirma que le prétendu danger d'incendie n'existait pas.

Il  en  fut de même à propos de tirs d'obus de 37 ou de 47  sur  des  ouvrages

bétonnés. Lors des essais, Le Prieur se plaça, en dépit du risque, à  quelques

mètres de la caisse retournée qui figurait un blockhaus.

Malgré les résultats obtenus et le courage de leur inventeur, ses  suggestions

furent  parfois  rejetées.  Ce fut le cas, lorsqu'il proposa à  la  Marine  de

régler  ses exercices de tir, non pas sur un vieux navire remorqué  lentement,

mais, grâce à des prismes montés sur deux vaisseaux naviguant normalement, sur

des  points  précis déplacés et théoriques. Il lui fut répondu,  une  fois  de

plus,  que  son  projet  ne pouvait être retenu  par  suite  du  danger  qu'il

présenterait  pour  le vaisseau servant de cible. Quelques  temps  plus  tard,

notre  confrère  s'aperçut que l'Amirauté britannique  utilisait  ce  procédé,

découvert, comme souvent, au même moment en Angleterre.

A cette époque, le Ministère des Inventions réclama le Commandant Le Prieur au

gouverneur  de  Paris  pour  lui confier la  direction  d'un  bureau  d'études

comprenant  un  personnel militaire et marin, avec atelier de dessin.  Tous  y

travaillèrent d'arrache-pied. Rien d'étonnant, dès lors, à ce que la fin de la

guerre  ait  vu  notre  confrère, malgré sa jeunesse,  officer  de  la  Légion

d'honneur et décoré de la Military Cross.

La  paix  revenue, le Commandant Le Prieur fut détaché dans  une  usine  comme

officier en mission. Ceci ne donnait une totale satisfaction ni à la Marine...

ni   à  l'usine.  L'industrie  privé  reprenant  ses  droits,  cherchait   des

techniciens de valeur. Louis Breguet voulut s'attacher notre confrère. Par  la

suite,  son ami le Lieutenant de Vaisseau Albert de Carsalade, qui avait  créé

un  office  de  Brevets  d'invention, le  fit  nommer  administrateur  de  "La

Précision Moderne".

En général, les recherches d'Yves Le Prieur, aux talents de qui notre Académie

avait rendu un juste hommage en l'élisant membre titulaire le 7 décembre 1921,

allaient,  dorénavant, l'entrainer dans deux directions préférées:  l'aviation

d'une part, la découverte du monde sous-marin de l'autre.

Des problèmes de conversion se posaient à l'aviation. Elle devait faire passer

du pied de guerre sur le pied de paix son industrie. Les questions de sécurité

inquiétaient les pilotes civils. Le Commandant Le Prieur s'appliqua à résoudre

ces  questions.  Il mit au point, en juillet 1920, un  dispositif  donnant  la

dérive  par  simple visée. L'aéropostale adopta ce  navigraphe  correcteur  de

route, amélioré sous le nom de "Cinémo dérivomètre Le Prieur type 130". Ce fut

ensuite  le tour d'un "gyrochronomètre de Pilotage Sans Visibilité"  et  d'une

"sonde  de  sécurité" pour les amerrissages sans visibilité.  Pour  ces  trois

inventions,  l'Aéro-Club de France décerna en 1921 au Commandant Le Prieur  le

"Prix  de  la Sécurité en aéroplane". Ces appareils servirent à Costes  et  Le

Brix en 1927 lors de leur célèbre tour du monde en avion.

Notre confrère étudia également, à la demande du Général Delcambre,  directeur

de  l'Office  national  météorologique, la rotation de la vitesse  du  vent  à

diverses  altitudes.  Il  inventa un appareil destiné à la  calculer.  Ce  fut

"l'Enregistreur de sondage type Le Prieur 6 NM".

Désireux  de faciliter l'entrainement de futurs aviateurs, en leur évitant  de

nombreux risques, il construisit un hydravion destiné à voler à 50  kilomètres

à l'heure à quelques mètres de hauteur au-dessus d'un plan d'eau. Cet appareil

n'eut pas de succès. Par suite de diverses circonstances, Le Prieur  n'aboutit

pas, non plus, lorsqu'il rêva de construire un avion dont les moteurs,  placés

dans une sorte de salle de machines, seraient accessibles en cas de panne.  Il

présenta  son  projet  au  directeur d'une  de  nos  plus  grandes  compagnies

aériennes,  "riche  et puissant, a-t-il noté, celui-ci appela  son  fils  pour

recueillir son opinion. Et ce dernier, après avoir demandé ce que coûterait un

prototype équipé de cette façon, déclara qu'il était plus économique de garder

les dangeureux appareils en service, en doublant leurs polices d'assurances".

Comme  il l'avait fait pendant la guerre, Yves Le Prieur ne se contentait  pas

d'imaginer  de  nouveaux appareils. Il les essayait à ses risques  et  périls.

C'est  ainsi  qu'il  traversa  le Sahara en 1925, au  temps  de  la  croisière

Citroën,  avec  Pelletier  d'Oisy,  puis  participa  à  une  mémorable  course

d'hydravions de Saint-Raphaël au cap d'Antibes et à Ajaccio.

L'esprit  toujours  en  éveil du Commandant l'amenait parfois  à  aborder  des

problèmes  tout différents. Sa notoriété lui avait valu, nous le  savons,  des

amitiés  de  qualité  dans  des milieux très variés.  Comment  en  eut-il  été

autrement?  C'était un hôte à l'accueil charmant qui guidait vers sa  demeure,

avec  bonté  et précision, grâce à de petits plans  autographes,  de  nombreux

admirateurs.  Il  était lié, en particulier, avec Jacques  de  Baroncelli  qui

montait,  en  1928, pour Pathé Nathan "La Femme et Le Pantin".  Une  scène  se

passait chez une danseuse espagnole. Par une fenêtre ouverte, on apercevait la

ville.  Pour y parvenir, un peintre avait brossé une vue éloignée de  Séville.

Sa  banalité et son immobilité choquèrent Le Prieur. Il pensa que, pour  créer

de  la  crédibilité,  il aurait fallu qu'apparut, en ses lieu  et  place,  une

photographie  animée. Ceci posait des problèmes de coordination de la  vitesse

de projection, de transparence d'un plan primaire, de luminosité égale sur les

deux  plans.  Il  les  résolut facilement dans  le  film  "La  Tentation"  que

Baroncelli  lança  ensuite. Dans un compartiment de (train)  rapide,  l'acteur

Lucien Dalsace contemplait un paysage, pris quinze jours plus tôt entre  Paris

et Melun. Notre confrère déposa son brevet pour la France le 7 septembre 1928.

Il  se  rendit  ensuite à New York, à la Radio  Corporation  of  America  pour

l'inscrire régulièrement. On l'évinça, l'idée étant, disait-on, sans  intérêt.

Le  Prieur,  confus, commit l'erreur de ne pas insister. Il fut  stupéfait  de

voir plus tard un film américain, "King Kong" utiliser son invention,  tombée,

après deux ans, dans le domaine public.

Durant  cette  période  de  l'entre-deux-guerres,  tout  ce  qui  touchait   à

l'exploration  du monde sous-marin passionna le Commandant. Son  intérêt  pour

ces  problèmes  remontait à sa première plongée en 1905. Mettre au  point  des

appareils permettant de sauver des noyés lui rappelait aussi l'exemple de  son

père. La paix venue, il avait, de plus, regretté que ses découvertes utilisées

pour la Défense nationale, eussent coûté la vie à plus d'un aviateur ou marin.

Son souci s'apaisait donc en pensant que ses recherches pourraient, désormais,

servir  à préserver des vies humaines. Il se révéla, une fois encore, dans  ce

domaine  un  brillant  inventeur.  Il  avait été  frappé,  en  1925,  lors  de

l'exposition  universelle,  de  voir au Grand Palais,  un  scaphandrier  faire

brûler  une  flamme  sous l'eau. Il avait remarqué son  appareil  de  plongée,

extraordinairement  simplifié  au moyen d'un embout  de  caoutchouc,  assurant

l'arrivée  d'air  et  d'une  pince comprimant le nez.  Il  pensa  qu'il  était

possible  de  libérer, à l'avenir, le plongeur de la sujetion de  la  pompe  à

bras, manoeuvrée en surface, en le ravitaillant grâce à une bouteille Michelin

contenant  trois litres d'air comprimé. Ce banal appareil  servait  couramment

pour  le gonflage des pneus d'auto. Il creusa son idée avec l'aide  de  Fernez

et,  le 6 août 1926, il présenta lui-même à la piscine des Tourelles à  Paris,

le  célèbre scaphandre Fernez-Le Prieur. Il en éprouva, a-t-il écrit, la  joie

quasi  enfantine d'un gamin doté d'un jouet magique. Il améliora cet  appareil

en 1933, en remplaçant notamment l'embout par un masque. Il plongea avec lui à

de multiples reprises devant sa villa de Saint-Raphaël pour le  perfectionner.

Les améliorations de cet appareil permirent finalement aux sapeurs pompiers de

Paris  des  sauvetages  par  temps glacial  avec  un  scaphandre  chauffé.  Le

Commandant prolongea aussi la durée des plongées en joignant au scaphandre  un

motocompresseur mobile.

Ce  scaphandre autonome permit de vulgariser la pêche  sous-marine,  notamment

grâce  à d'ingénieux appareils de tir. Il fut à l'origine des  recherches  des

cités enfouies, de la photographie puis du filmage sous-marins. Notre confrère

construisit   même  une  bicyclette  sous-marine  qu'il  baptisa  le   "Pédalo

Nautilus" en souvenir de Jules Verne, et une cage protectrice de plongée.  Son

scaphandre  autonome  avait été adopté officiellement par le Ministère  de  la


La  réputation  d'Yves  Le Prieur le mit alors en relation  avec  des  milieux

différents de ceux qui l'avaient encouragé de 1914 à 1918. M. Pietri, ministre

de  la  marine,  assistait à ses expériences. Il avait  été  présenté  au  roi

d'Espagne,  Alphonse  XIII.  Il fréquentait  Pelletier  d'Oisy,  Vuilemin,  le

général  Laperrinne, Costes et Le Brix, et l'aéronaute Charles Dollfus,  notre

confrère.  Il  était  aussi mêlé aux milieux  littéraires  et  artistiques  de

l'époque: Copeau, Cocteau, Jouvet, Baroncelli; les Fratellini même étaient ses


Si  sa  curiosité toujours en éveil l'avait amené à oublier les  problèmes  de

sécurité  de  l'aviation pour s'intéresser au cinéma, il  lui  arrivait  aussi

d'abandonner ses travaux de conquête du monde sous-marin pour se passionner de

nouveau pour des problèmes intéressant la Défense nationale.

En  pensant  aux dangers qu'une puissante aviation ferait courir en  temps  de

guerre  aux  agglomérations,  il  envisagea, en 1933,  avec  son  camarade  de

promotion  Louis Laboureur, de suspendre une grenade à un long fil  attaché  à

un petit ballon. Lancés par avion, ces appareils pourraient constituer  durant

une  heure un "rideau protecteur contre des bombardements de nuit". Il  soumit

son idée au Ministère de l'Air qui, en octobre 1938, expropria l'invention. En

1939,  toutefois,  rien n'avait été fait pour l'utiliser. C'est en  lisant  un

numéro  illustré de "Science et Vie", de mars 1941, que notre confrère  apprit

qu'une  arme  terrible  et toute nouvelle, la mine aérienne,  avait  fait  son

apparition dans le ciel britannique!

La  guerre  de 1939 s'en venait. Le Commandant Le Prieur  fut  mobilisé  comme

Capitaine de Frégate à la Commission scientifique de la Marine, et affecté  au

Centre  d'Etudes  de  Toulon. Il y travailla tour à tour  avec  le  Commandant

Gerbault,  l'Amiral  Fénard,  qui  le  connaissait  depuis  longtemps,  et  le

Commandant Sala, devenu l'Amiral Sala, notre ancien et éminent président. Pour

lutter  contre les sous-marins, il mit au point, avec le Commandant Sala,  une

fusée  à  retard de 7 secondes éclatant à 27 mètres de profondeur,  et  lancée

sans danger par des avions se trouvant à 3 mètres d'altitude. Le 4 juin  1940,

le Commandant Sala reçut l'ordre, à la suite des résultats obtenus, de  passer

à  des  recherches analogues pour des bombes de plus gros  calibre.  Nos  deux

confrères  étudièrent  également, en février 1940,  un  dispositif  permettant

l'explosion simultanée d'un grand nombre de bombes. Il apprirent, en 1943, que

les  explosifs employés par la Royal Air Force pour détruire les  barrages  de

l'Eder, dans la Rhur, étaient munis de fusées de ce genre.

Ce  ne furent pas les seules études de notre confrère qui, sur la  demande  du

Général Saura, pionnier de l'aviation saharienne, avait également imaginé  une

bombe antichars de 70 kilos pour avions.

L'invasion interrompit ses recherches. Le 22 juin 1940, le Centre d'Etudes  de

Toulon  s'embarqua pour Oran avec son matériel scientifique. Il apprit,  en  y

arrivant, que l'armistice avait été signé l'avant-veille. Le 2 août, Le Prieur

revint  à  Toulon sur le Lamoricière pour se faire démobiliser. Il  reprit  en

secret,  avec  le  Lieutenant  de  Vaisseau  Petit,  des  recherches  sur  les

lancements  de  torpilles  à  basse  altitude  par  avions  rapides.  Lors  de

l'invasion  de la zone libre, il rentra à Saint-Raphaël. Il y reçut, en  1942,

la  visite du Commandant Cousteau, accompagné de sa femme et de son  camarade,

Frédéric  Dumas.  Il  les retint à dîner. Il conseilla à  son  hôte  certaines

améliorations  d'un scaphandre qu'il avait imaginé. Il lui montra sa  cage  de

protection sous-marine mais ne pût lui prêter, malgré sa demande, sa caméra  à

cloison étanche.

La paix devait faire de notre confrère, agê de 62 ans, un Capitaine de Frégate

honoraire,  autorisé  par l'Amiral Nomy à travailler exceptionnellement  à  la

base  de  Saint-Raphaël.  Il  se  retira plus tard  à  Nice,  "ville  que  son

expérience  de vieux balisticien lui avait fait choisir comme point  de  chute


Il allait, après guerre, assister, selon son expression, à l'essor  prodigieux

des  nouvelles  techniques aéronautiques. Dans ce domaine,  comme  en  matière

d'exploration sous-marine, il voyait ses successeurs s'avancer très loin  dans

les chemins qu'il avait découverts.

Il écrivit alors ses mémoires, à la demande de la Marine, qui désirait  garder

le souvenir de ses découvertes spectaculaires. J'ai tenu entre les mains, avec

émotion, le manuscrit de "Premier de Plongée", plus technique et développé que

l'ouvrage  publié  par les Editions France-Empire. J'en ai  admiré  l'écriture

ferme et claire, et l'incomparable précision. J'aime, de plus, ce petit volume

pour  sa  simplicité,  sa vie, son souffle poétique. L'Amiral  Sala  vous  l'a

présenté jadis, en disant justement que ce véritable "journal de bord" émanait

de l'un de ses "grands anciens", le "père inconstestable d'engins tels que les

roquettes modernes et les bombes à influence, et le pionnier de  l'exploration

et  de  la chasse sous-marines". Celui-ci, "parti à la découverte  d'un  monde

étrange  et fascinant, avait prouvé qu'il n'était pas seulement hanté  par  le

démon  de  la recherche, mais aussi par celui de l'aventure, par  le  goût  du

risque et l'amour du beau". L'Amiral Sala concluait que cet ouvrage était  une

véritable leçon d'enthousiasme, une inpiration et un stimulant.

Le  portrait  de notre confrère, tel que j'ai voulu l'esquisser, touche  à  sa

fin.  Je  l'ai campé devant vous, de bonne foi, tel qu'il  m'est  apparu.  Nos

confrères  les peintres du département de la marine savent, toutefois,  qu'une

esquisse  ou un tableau varient selon la réceptivitié de l'artiste,  l'endroit

où il se trouve placé, les heures et l'éclairage.

Permettez-moi  donc de vous avouer que, tout autant que ma trop longue  étude,

j'aime  les  quelques  lignes vibrantes de souvenir pieux  que  m'a  adressées

Madame  Le  Prieur. Il semble que l'on voie notre confrère s'animer  sous  nos

yeux. Elles constituent un témoignage de sa vie quotidienne: "Avant tout,  dit

Madame  Le  Prieur, c'était un être ferme, aimant  l'aventure,  l'imprévu,  la

fantaisie,  curieux  de tout, infatigable, impatient de réaliser,  passant  la

nuit sur un problème posé la veille et résolu au matin. Il aimait la vie  sous

toutes  ses  formes  et dans tous les milieux. Il avait  des  amis  comédiens,

auteurs,  chirurgiens, Copeau, Cocteau, Jouvet, Foujita. Avec les  Fratellini,

il  apprenait la scie musicale. Tout l'intéressait, fussent-ils des  tours  de

passe-passe  et d'acrobatie. Il aimait danser, siffler, peindre  ou  dessiner.

Tout  cela lui donnait parfois un caractère bohème et fantaisie.  Les  enfants

l'adoraient. Pour eux, il inventait des jeux, des mystifications. Il fascinait

les  animaux et les apprivoisait à bref délai. Il était, surtout, très bon  et

très simple avec les gens qui travaillaient avec lui".

Après  ces  deux évocations bien différentes, tenant l'une  de  l'Histoire  et

l'autre du coeur, vous me permettrez de conclure en vous soumettant le  subtil

éloge  que lui adressa Cocteau. C'est, cette fois, l'évocation d'un ami  selon


3 octobre 1956



Mon  cher  Le Prieur, votre nom symbolise cette France qui donne  toujours  et

récolte peu.

Pas  une  usine de vitesse, pas un pilote, pas une chasse sous-marine  qui  ne

vous doivent.

Lorsque  j'étais enfant, je rêvais de devenir "ingénieux". Le suis-je  devenu?

Peut-être.  Vous,  sans l'ombre d'un doute. Et c'est un titre plus  noble,  si

possible, que celui "d'ingénieur".

Car vous découvrez continuellement ce que l'avenir recouvre. Vous fouillez, en

quelque sorte, le sol du futur. Les princes de votre royaume sont Léonard  (de

Vinci) et Jules Verne.

Votre vie de poète actif illustre, sous l'angle de la science, la belle phrase

de Picasso: "Je trouve d'abord. Après, je cherche."

Découvrir  des  trésors, c'est, hélas, ainsi qu'on se ruine.  Mais  vous  avez

motorisé la roue de la Fortune qui se sauve. N'est-ce pas magnifique?

Je vous salue avec respect et tendresse.

Jean Cocteau


1926. The ‘Scaphandre Le Prieur’


the scrapbook of diving history